We borrowed this one, well because it simply sounds ‘Herbalicious’!
40ml Spicy Gin
1 bunch basil leaves (if in doubt as to how much, go heavy on the basil)- We used Magic Michael Basil
25ml fresh lemon juice
15ml sugar syrup*
1. Place Basil and Lemon into a cocktail shaker.
2. Gently muddle the lemon and basil “smashing” the ingredients.
3. Add sugar syrup and Gin and top up with ice.
5.Double strain into an ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with basil leaves.
The Basil Smash was conceived by Jörg Meyer of the Lion in Hamburg in 2008. The drink quickly became a phenomenon, even winning “Best New Cocktail” at the 2008 Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Awards.
To make your own Sugar Syrup:
1 Cup Water
2 Cups Caster or granulated sugar (or experiment with brown or demerara for a different flavor)
A ladle or funnel, and bottles to pour it into.
1. Pour one cup of water into a clean saucepan
2. Add one cup of caster sugar into the water and put over a low heat
3. Gently stir the sugar and water until most of the sugar has dissolved (the liquid will look mostly clear)
4. Now add the second cup into the saucepan stirring as you pour it in. Keep going until no granules of sugar are left visible.
5. Heating aids the dissolving of the sugar but is careful not to put the temperature too high – do not let the water boil or even simmer.
6. Optionally, add a small splash of flavourless vodka – this will help preserve the syrup for longer.
7. Once all the sugar has dissolved, allow the syrup to cool completely then pour into bottles.